Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Jerk Asparagus

I love asparagus and normally I bake it so this was a fun, new and easy way to make some delicious asparagus!  This recipe was adapted from the book "Appetite for Reduction" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.


I could eat a whole pound of asparagus myself, so I doubled this recipe since I was cooking for my family and I made a few other minimal changes to the seasonings.  Here's the recipe I followed:

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds aspargus (I cut each aspargus in half so they would fit in the skillet better)
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • ground nutmeg
  • ground cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
  2. Saute the ginger and garlic in the oil for about 30 seconds, then add thyme and a splash of water and let this sizzle for a few seconds.
  3. Add the asparagus, salt, and spices.  Use tongs to toss and coat adding a few splashes of water if it seems dry.
  4. Saute for about 10 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.
Note: For presentation, you can serve the asparagus with lime wedges.

This was not all the asparagus I made, only half.



This side was perfect with the other dishes I made for Easter Dinner: Broiled Blackened Tofu and Ginger Sweet Mashed Potatoes and Apples.





This recipe makes 8 servings.
1 serving yields approximately 38 calories and 2.5g protein.




No comments:

Post a Comment