Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Buckwheat Porridge

Even though buckwheat has the word "wheat" in it, it is actually a naturally gluten-free seed even though many people think it is a grain. It can be eaten as a topping for salads or yogurt, or you can turn it into a creamy porridge.  That is exactly what I did as a delicious and very filling breakfast after I came across a blog with this amazing recipe.


Buckwheat is great when you want to switch it up from the normal oatmeal.  And just like oatmeal, you can add any flavorings, fruits, etc. to create different variations!

This recipe was adapted from Oh She Glows.  Here's the recipe I used to make one serving:

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons almond milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon chia seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 tablespoon agave, or to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Optional: fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, nut butter, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, granola, etc.
Directions:
  1. In a bowl, combine buckwheat groats and water.  Soak for at least 1 hour or overnight.
  2. After an hour (or in the morning), rinse the buckwheat groats very well in a strainer several times.
  3. Combine the buckwheat groats, almond milk, chia seeds, and vanilla in a food processor and blend until slightly smooth.
  4. Stir in the agave and cinnamon adjusting to your taste.
  5. Serve cold with any optional toppings! 
If you want to have more texture, I recommend only blending slightly more than 1/2 the buckwheat groats.  Then, when you stir in the agave and cinnamon you can add the remaining buckwheat and stir everything together.


 I also thought it would be important to note that I was reading the comments about this porridge for the original recipe and someone commented that they tried heating this up in the microwave and it just stuck together into a ball.  Another person said they heated it in the microwave and just added more almond milk to thin out the porridge and that worked.  I haven't tried this porridge warm so I'm not sure how this method would turn out for me.

I added raspberries to mine.  After I stirred it, I thought it looked 
like Raspberries and Cream Buckwheat Porridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment