Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Pulp Cracker Bread

I like to have a juice about once a week.  It's a good way for me to make sure I'm getting enough veggies, vitamins, and minerals; especially on weekends.  Lately, on Sunday's I start my day with a green juice.  Well, if you have ever juiced before you know that the point of juicing is to get only the juice out of the fruits and vegetables leaving behind the harder to digest parts, known as the pulp.  I do not like to just throw this pulp away because it would be a waste, plus it is full of fiber!  I've read that you can put it in a compost, create a veggie broth with it for soup, or turn it into crackers!  The last time I had a juice, I decided to try these crackers.


This recipe was adapted from Purely Twins:

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 cups pulp from juice
  • 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1 cup water
  • nutritional yeast
  • other spices, if desired
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Add all ingredients into a food processor and blend.  You can also just stir all ingredients together in a bowl if you don't have big pulp chunks.
  3. Spread the mixture onto a cookie sheet so you have one big thin rectangle.
  4. Drag a knife through the thin mixture to slice into crackers.  This will help the crackers break up easier after baking.
  5. Bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how crispy you want your crackers.
  6. After baking, allow to cool, then break apart into crackers.

After I baked these, they were still quite soft which is why I call these cracker bread since they are more like bread.  However, since I wanted them more crispy for crackers, I ended up putting mine in my dehydrator at 115F for about 7 more hours.  Either way works though!


These crackers are best eaten the day they are made.  I also highly recommend using a sweeter pulp from a juice that has a lot of fruit, the crackers/bread will taste much better!  They also taste great with hummus!


No comments:

Post a Comment