Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sweet Potato Chickpea Patties

I was really in the mood to make some patties for dinner and so that I would have extra for ready-made lunches for the next few days.  Normally I make these typical Black Bean Patties but I really wanted something different.  I was reading around on the internet and saw that sweet potatoes and chickpeas were two common burger ingredients.  However, all the recipes I came across called for all these extra ingredients and I really wanted something that would be quick and easy.  I decided to take a risk and basically follow the black bean patty recipe but sub in sweet potato and chickpeas.  I also had half a zucchini from a recipe I made earlier (it will most likely be the next recipe I post) so I decided to add that for some veggies.


Ingredients:

  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 small sweet potato, baked and peeled
  • 1/2 grated zucchini
  • 2/3 cup gf instant oats
  • 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp ketchup
  • 1 tbsp mustard
  • sea salt, to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F and grease a baking sheet.
  2. Mash chickpeas with a fork until desired texture.  Alternatively, pulse for a few seconds in a food processor, or until desired texture.  (I like some whole pieces of beans in my patties).
  3. In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, sweet potato, grated zucchini, oats (pulse in a food processor for a few seconds to turn rolled oats into instant), flaxseeds, and all seasonings and spices.  Mix until well combined.
  4. With your hands, form 6 patties and place on the baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes, flip carefully, and then bake for another 15 minutes or until crispy on both sides.

You can bake the sweet potato in the oven or the microwave depending on how much time you have.  I used the microwave and it came out fine, though it probably would have been better in the oven.  

I loved the zucchini added to this mixture.  I'm definitely going to be making this meal again and next time I want to experiment with different kinds of veggies (or a mixture!) and maybe even some different seasonings.



Based on forming 6 patties using Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats and Goya Chickpeas, 1 patty yields approximately 129 calories and 6g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment