Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Apple Crisp

Last but not least, Christmas Eve ended with dessert!  I love apples.   I've always wanted to try an apple crisp but usually when I just bake an apple for myself it is always easiest just to chop one apple, bake it, and sprinkle it with cinnamon.  A perfect snack/dessert on a cold winter's night.  However, it is not an apple crisp.  With all the dishes that were made for Christmas Eve, I wanted a lighter dessert that would be more on the healthy side.  Since I was making dessert for the family, I knew this would be a perfect time to try out a real apple crisp.

This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:

  • 3 large apples, sliced (I used Fuji)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 3 tbsp agave or maple syrup (divided)
  • 1/3 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 cup GF rolled oats
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Lightly grease an 8x8 glass baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, toss sliced apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1 tbsp of agave.
  3. Pour apple mixture into glass baking pan and bake for 10 minutes.
  4. While apples are baking mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. (Melt coconut oil before adding to easier mixing.)
  5. When the apples are ready, remove them from the oven and sprinkle the topping mixture over the apples.
  6. Place back in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
You can enjoy this right away, or top with Coconut Ice Cream for Apple Crisp A La Mode.


This was a very easy dessert to make and the entire family absolutely loved it!  I cannot wait to bake it again!  In fact, I was so excited to try it myself that I forgot to take a picture.  Good thing I plan on making it again and will post a picture in the future.



Christmas Eve 2012 Dishes:
Apple Crisp



This recipe makes 4 servings.
Based on using Fuji Apples, Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats, and agave, 1 servings yields approximately 293 calories and 4g protein.






No comments:

Post a Comment