Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Banana Berry Yogurt Smoothie

I have been trying to drink more smoothies lately to increase my nutrition: protein, calories, nutrients, fruits, veggies, etc.  This smoothie, however, does not contain any veggies.  I usually love green smoothies but I was really in the mood for something sweet.  I enjoyed this as a morning snack which is interesting since I have noticed I have a much bigger sweet tooth in the morning and more savory cravings in the evenings.


Banana Berry Yogurt Smoothie:

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt (I used Silk Live Plain Soy Yogurt*)
  • 1 cup frozen berries (I used mixed berries)
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
Directions: In a blender combine all ingredients and process until smooth and creamy.

This smoothie makes 1 large serving!


*I was going to provide a link to the soy yogurt I used, but I think they stopped making this product.  In fact, I haven't seen it in being sold in the stores lately.  They do have a new line of Fruity & Creamy yogurt which is still soy based but I only see fruit flavored ones and no plain yogurt.  I actually tried the Strawberry flavor and it was okay, but kind of sweet.  I like the plain ones better so I can control the sweetness and mix in flavors that I want.  

I'm sure one of these fruity yogurts could be swapped in place of the plain yogurt and the mixed berries though, but maybe add a whole frozen banana for more creaminess and volume.

If like me you are looking for a new non-dairy yogurt that comes in a 24oz container to make yogurt bowls and smoothies, or to control your own yogurt flavor and sweetness, I'm going to try out this Amande yogurt.  It is almond based, not soy based which is fine by me since I prefer almond based yogurts. Unfortunately, it is lower in protein.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure you will be seeing more recipes with it in the future.  I have tried their 6oz strawberry flavored yogurt and it was very thin, like the Silk Soy Yogurt and not as thick as my favorite almond yogurt by Almond Dream.  I love thick yogurt but unfortunately Almond Dream yogurt is much more expensive and even lower in protein so I buy it to enjoy alone as a snack on occasions.




Based on using original PureAlmond Milk, Silk Live Plain Soy Yogurt, and Bob's Red Mill Ground Flaxseed Meal, this smoothie yields approximately 260 calories and 7g protein.
With Amande plain yogurt, this smoothie yields approximately 270 calories and 6g protein.


No comments:

Post a Comment