Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Rainbow Quinoa Salad

I am like a little kid when it comes to colorful food.  Thankfully, as an adult, I enjoy natural foods.  So when it comes to turning my food green, blue, red, purple, etc. I do not use food coloring.  I use natural healthy foods like spinach, avocado, beets, berries, etc. like in these recipes:

Blueberry Beet Overnight Oats - It looks purple in the picture, but in person it was a bright pink color!
Green Monster Overnight Oats
Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Pancakes
Green Breakfast Pudding
Beet Juice
Green Lemonade
Morning Start Green Juice
Grasshopper Pudding Parfait

I definitely want to try out more recipes to naturally turn my food fun colors!

Today I have a recipe that includes a rainbow of colors.  I had heard of purple cauliflower but never tried it before.  I love white cauliflower so I decided to give the purple cauliflower a try.  To me, it tasted exactly like the white, so I enjoyed using this purple cauliflower to add even more color to my food.  What better way to incorporate purple cauliflower than  in a Rainbow Quinoa Salad!


This isn't really a recipe.  The idea for this recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:

  • red bell pepper
  • orange carrots
  • yellow corn
  • green edamame
  • purple cauliflower
  • white quinoa
Directions: 
  1. Cook quinoa according to directions on package.
  2. Once quinoa is cooked, mix together all ingredients.
  3. Season however you would like with any dressing or seasonsings.  (I personally used Bragg's Liquid Aminos, a splash of lemon juice, Srirach, and some garlic powder.)


You can also use different colored vegetables instead of the ones listed, or in addition to the ones listed.  Try broccoli, green beans, peas, red kidney beans, red lentils, yellow or green squash, yellow cauliflower, red quinoa, tri-colored quinoa, etc.  The possibilities are endless!



Purple cauliflower gets its color from the same pigments, called anthocyanins, as blueberries which help reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and neurological problems.  It also has high nutritional benefits, just like white cauliflower.  Purple cauliflower is a great source of vitamin C, fiber, potassium, and B vitamins. (Source)



No comments:

Post a Comment