Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Quinoa

This Monday for Meatless Mondays from A to Z we are on the letter I which is for Israeli Couscous.


Unfortunately, this ingredient is not gluten free.  Instead of using couscous, I decided to use a similar substitution with quinoa.  Since I use quinoa so much in my regular daily meals, I decided to try something new with it since I cannot use a new and different ingredient.  Usually when I use quinoa, I mix it with beans and vegetables.  I have also used it as a cold cereal with fruit.  Today, I decided to use it as a hot breakfast for the first time!


This recipe was adapted from Fit Foodie Finds:

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup dry quinoa
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 packet of stevia
  • 2 tablespoons raisins
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1 medium apple, chopped
Directions:
  1. In a small saucepan, bring quinoa, milk, and water to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat and cover.  Simmer on low for about 10 minutes.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients.  Continue to cook on low until all the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
  4. Pour into a bowl and eat served hot!

I wanted my breakfast to be more like a cereal so I added extra almond milk after I cooked it and poured it into a bowl.  It was so tasty!




Approximately 400 calories and 8g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment