Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Hominy Chili

This Monday for Meatless Mondays from A to Z uses the ingredient Hominy for the letter H.


Since my family is in the process of remodeling and we do not have a kitchen, I was afraid this challenge would be difficult.  At first, I thought I would just do something simple with hominy grits, but then I came across this recipe for a chili and thought I could make it in the crockpot.  I am so glad I decided to try out this chili because it is the simplest recipe ever! And so tasty we all went back for seconds!


This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:
  • 1 (20 oz) can hominy
  • 1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 (15 oz) can stewed tomatoes, undrained and quartered
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and stir to combine.  Turn crockpot to low and let it simmer until the TVP has soaked up most liquid.  (I just made this in the early afternoon and let it simmer on low all day so it would be done and warm for dinner.)

In the crockpot, ready to be eaten!

This recipe is so easy and tasty.  I will be making this recipe a lot this winter!



I'm estimating that this recipe yields 8 cups. Based on a 1 cup serving:
Approximately 169 calories and 11.5g protein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment