Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Tofu

Yesterday, I posted a recipe for Jalapeno Cornbread.  If (like me) you have leftover cornbread, here is another great meal to pair with the cornbread.

Basically, I was in the mood to make some tofu and wanted to try something new instead of using my typical marinade when I bake tofu or tempeh.  I found a recipe with some different marinade ingredients and it was very tasty!

Ingredients:

  • 1 block of extra-firm tofu
  • 3 tablespoons tamari
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 3 tablespoons bbq sauce
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons hot sauce
Directions:
  1. Press tofu to remove all excess liquid.  Cut into cubes and freeze overnight, if desired.  
  2. Combine all marinade ingredients in a container and place tofu in the marinade making sure all pieces are covered.  Place lid on container and put in the fridge for at least one hour.
  3. Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with foil.
  4. Place tofu on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
  5. After 20 minutes toss the tofu pieces, spoon some extra marinade on top, and continue baking for another 10 minutes or longer depending on how you want the texture of your tofu.  
  6. For extra chewiness, place under the broiler for about 3 more minutes.

After I baked my tofu, I served it atop of brown rice and kale that was made with balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, and nutritional yeast!


No comments:

Post a Comment