Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Sage Gravy

Now that I have posted the recipes for my Homemade Tofurkey and Quinoa Sage Stuffing, all that is missing is the gravy.  Since the stuffing I used had sage in it, I thought this Sage Gravy would nicely complement the main dish of my Thanksgiving meal.

This recipe was adapted from Happy Herbivore.  I doubled the original recipe and used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour to keep the gravy gluten free, but whole wheat flour works as well.
Here's how I made my gravy:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 2 tbsp rubbed sage
  • 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 4 tbsp brown rice flour
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
  • dash of paprika
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium pot and whisk together over high heat until the mixture is just about to boil.
  2. Remove pot from the hot burner and give it one last stir adjusting seasonings to your desired taste.

This gravy is so creamy and the nutritional yeast gives it an almost "cheesy" taste.  It is even a great gravy to use on top of vegetables.  I love how easy this gravy is to make and you only have to clean one pot after.  Since this recipe is so simple, I just might have to make this recipe more often and use it as a sauce over rice and vegetable bowls instead of using my typical marinara sauce or tamari to change it up a bit.



Based on using Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour and Silk PureAlmond Milk:
About 1/4 cup serving yields approximately 35 calories and 2.5g protein.


My other Thanksgiving 2012 Dishes:
Homemade Tofurkey

No comments:

Post a Comment