Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Buckwheat Waffles

I love making pancakes.  Unfortunately, they are very time consuming so they do not get made except for weekends.  And trust me, it seems like more Sundays than not I am cooking up some delicious pancakes.  However, pancakes can be very tricky to make.  You have to be very careful flipping them, they can burn easily, the outside has to cook enough not to burn but enough so the middle isn't gooey.  Now let's add to that and try to make vegan and gluten free pancakes.  Even trickier!  Especially if you would prefer not to spend a ridiculous amount of money on boxed packages of gluten free pancake mix.  And most gluten free pancake mixes call for eggs or might already have powdered milk in their flour.  So how is it possible to enjoy a fluffy vegan and gluten free waffle?  Well through lots of trial and error, I think I finally figured it out!  Hopefully if you are looking for a tasty, fluffy vegan and gluten free waffle, this recipe will save you lots of time!

I recently bought a waffle maker because I was tired of the outside burning, the inside being gooey, and the difficulty of flipping.  After several trials on my waffle maker, I was still getting the same results minus the fact that I didn't have to do any flipping.  I almost accepted the fact that I just wasn't going to be able to enjoy a fluffy waffle anymore, but would just have to deal with a very crispy-on-the-outside and gooey-on-the-inside waffle.  It was still tasty after all, especially when I added peanut butter flour mixed with almond yogurt and sliced a banana on top.

Well then I discovered buckwheat flour!

This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 tbsp almond milk
  • 1/2 mashed banana
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until well combined.
  2. Heat waffle iron and spray with non-stick spray.
  3. Pour batter into waffle iron and cook according to your waffle iron's directions.

I topped my waffles with peanut butter yogurt (2 tbsp almond yogurt, 1 tbsp almond milk, and 1 tbsp peanut butter flour) the other 1/2 banana sliced, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  Maple syrup and other fruits or even nuts would also be great on these waffles!  I'm sure this batter could also be used to make pancakes if you do not have a waffle maker.

I didn't take a picture because after all my failed attempts I didn't think this one would work either and I was hungry and just wanted to eat.  But a picture will be up sometime soon in the future because this was a really tasty waffle and I cannot wait to make it again!



This recipe makes one waffle and yields approximately 230 calories and 7g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment