Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Spirulina Oatmeal

Here is another recipe with Spirulina.  I posted my first recipe using spirulina here and talked about the benefits of this ingredient.  I have been adding spirulina to so many things lately, even my oatmeal!  I love all the nutrition I get first thing in the morning by adding spirulina to my breakfast.


This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup GF rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • dash of sea salt
  • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tbsp flax seeds
  • 1 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 small banana, mashed
  • 1 tsp spirulina
Directions:
  1. In a breakfast bowl, combine oats, almond milk, sea salt, chia seeds, and flax seeds.
  2. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
  3. In the morning, add more liquid if needed or if desired.  Then, stir in almond butter, banana, and spirulina.
This is a recipe for cold oatmeal, however it can also be eaten warm if that is what you prefer.  I still recommend letting the oats soak overnight with the chia and flax seeds, but before stirring in the other ingredients in the morning, heat the oatmeal for about a minute and a half first.  Then stir in the almond butter, banana, and spirulina.

If you don't have spirulina you can still make this delicious breakfast.  You can either order some at iherb using my code LWZ362, or just sub the ingredient with spinach.  I recommend blending the spinach with the oats, almond milk, and seeds then placing it in the fridge overnight.



This recipe yields approximately 385 calories and 9g protein.

1 comment: