Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Seedy Granola

I love making granola!  Since I make yogurt bowls a lot, I love adding fresh granola to each yogurt bowl for some added crunch, so I go through it quite a bit.  This is why homemade granola is so much better than store-bought.  It is much cheaper to make my own, plus I love being able to control the different ingredients I put into the different types of granola I make each time.

This granola is not one of  my favorites, I think it was more like a savory granola than a sweet granola, and I am totally a sweet snack kind of girl.  However, it was still very tasty and I love how all the nuts and seeds give this granola so many healthy nutrients!

This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup GF rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup raw almonds
  • 3 tbsp pecans
  • 2 tbsp pepitas
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp hemp seeds
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 2 tbsp water
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the flax and water.  Set aside to thicken.
  3. In a small food processor, combine almonds, pecans, and pepitas.  Pulse for just a few seconds to roughly chop up the nuts and pepitas.
  4. In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts, seeds, spices, and salt.  Set aside.
  5. Grab the small bowl with the flax.  Add maple syrup and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
  6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Mix together until everything is well combined.
  7. Spread granola onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.  Remove from the oven, stir, and continue baking for 5-15 minutes, keeping in mind that it will continue to crisp as it cools.
  8. Allow granola to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

I know there are a lot of ingredients in this granola, but it is worth the few extra minutes to mix everything together for a granola with a lot of flavor.

(Picture Coming Soon)



Based on a 1/4 cup serving, I am roughly estimating that this granola yields approximately 106 calories and 3g protein.









No comments:

Post a Comment