Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blueberry Muffins

I was in the mood for a quick and filling breakfast and I thought muffins would be perfect.  I had some blueberries so searched around online for a blueberry muffin recipe that sounded sweet enough to be tasty, but healthy enough for breakfast.  

This recipe was adapted from here.
I made only two small changes to the original recipe.  Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup yellow corn grits (I used Arrowhead Mills brand)
  • 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup (or more) fresh blueberries
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.  Grease a muffin tray or line with muffin cups. 
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together yellow corn grits, brown rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together cooked quinoa, maple syrup, almond milk, applesauce, lemon juice, and oil.
  4. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.  Fold in blueberries.  Spoon batter into muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes.

These are so good I can eat two.  And since they are high in nutrition, having two is perfectly fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment