Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Baked Tempeh

Normally when I eat tempeh I cook it in a pan on the stove top with some veggies like butternut squash or like a stir fry.  I don't know why I never thought about baking it before, especially since it was so easy, but here is a great recipe that I will be making again!

This recipe was adapted from Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz:

Ingredients:
  • 1 package tempeh
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons tamari
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3 teaspoons minced garlic
Directions:
  1. Mix together all marinade ingredients.
  2. Slice the tempeh into bite sized pieces and place in the marinade.  Cover and put in the fridge for at least one hour.
  3. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with oil ( I recommend laying a piece of foil over the baking sheet and spraying that for easier clean up.)
  4. Place the tempeh slices in a single layer and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through baking time and spooning extra marinade on top after flipping.

I really liked how easy this was and it gave the tempeh a great flavor.  However, unlike tofu the marinade only really covers the outside of the tempeh and doesn't soak inside.  I think next time I may try poking the tempeh with a fork before marinating to help the flavors soak inside the tempeh more.  It might even help to make smaller pieces so there is less middle that doesn't get marinated.

No comments:

Post a Comment