Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cashew Cookie Bars

I love making my own snack bars, but sometimes it is very difficult to make bars that are portable.  Even though I have made bars before that I individually wrapped, if I didn't eat them straight from the fridge or freezer they would fall apart.  That is not the case with this bar.  I stored these in the fridge, but I took it as a snack during work and I was surprised at how well the bar not only stayed together, but was still firm!

When I first made these bars, I was a little nervous as to whether or not I would like them since cashews are my least favorite nut.  However, they had an amazing taste, especially paired with the cinnamon spice.  I am a huge fan of cinnamon!


This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup raw cashews
  • 2 tbsp hemp seeds
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup GF rolled oats
  • 1 cup pitted dates*
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp shredded coconut
  • 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
Directions:
  1. In a food processor add cashews, hemp seeds, salt, cinnamon, and oats and process until crumbly.
  2. Add dates and vanilla and process until well-combined and a sticky dough forms.
  3. Add the coconut and chocolate chips and process for a few more seconds.
  4. Remove the dough and press into an 8x8 pan.
  5. Refrigerate for at least an hour or until chilled.
  6. Remove from fridge and cut into 6 bars and wrap each individually in wax paper.  Store each wrapped bar in a ziplock bag in the fridge until ready to eat.
* I recommend soaking the dates in warm water for at least 30 minutes before mixing in the food processor so they are soft and mix with the other ingredients better.  Alternatively, you can heat them in the microwave for about 30 seconds to help soften them.


You can also turn this dough into bite sized snack balls instead of bars.



This recipe makes 6 bars.
One bar yields approximately 202 calories and 4.5g protein.



No comments:

Post a Comment