Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Fudgy Red Velvet Brownies

Even though Valentine's Day is practically over, here is a dessert that is perfect for this holiday.  Red Velvet seems to be very popular around this time of the year. Unfortunately, many recipes that are named Red Velvet (brownies, cookies, cake, etc.) are usually filled with red dye food coloring.  Food coloring can come with a lot of health risks including cancer, birth defects, allergic reactions, hyperactivity, and other behavioral problems.  Check out this website for more information.  Food coloring is definitely fun to use to turn food vivid fun colors, but it is not worth these health risks.  I would much rather color my food naturally.

Today I am posting a recipe for Red Velvet Brownies.  This recipe uses beets to naturally color the brownies red.  However, my brownies still came out looking like regular chocolate brownies, which I think is either because I used canned beets or it might be because of the amount of cocoa powder used in this recipe.  Some people might prefer there brownies to look regular and others might miss that red velvet color.  I recommend trying to use fresh cooked beets to get that red color.  If that doesn't work, I'm sure you could try reducing the amount of cocoa powder or maybe leaving it out completely, but then your brownies won't taste chocolatey.


This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup red kidney beans
  • 1/2 cup cooked beets
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 4 tbsp applesauce
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup raw sugar
  • 1/2 cup ground flax
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray an 8x8" pan with cooking spray.  Set aside.
  2. In a food processor, puree kidney beans and beets.  Transfer to a large bowl.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until smooth and well combined.
  4. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes.  The brownies are done when a toothpick comes out slightly clean.


These brownies are fudgy!  If you don't like fudgy brownies I guess you can try cooking them a little longer, but I cannot vouch for these results.  I like fudgy brownies so I found these to be perfect!

I love that these brownies are tasty and you are getting some healthy nutrients.  Beans and vegetables in a dessert!  And you cannot even taste it!  I'll take that kind of dessert any day.



Based on 9 servings, each brownie yields approximately 128 calories and 4g protein.




No comments:

Post a Comment