Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili

Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods.  They are great baked as fries, in a savory mexican style dish, or even as a sweeter dish topped with almond butter.  You can also use sweet potato as a replacement for anything that calls for pumpkin.

Today I am sharing a delicious savory meal I made on a Sunday.  I made it in the crockpot so it was quick and easy and I had a perfect nutrition meal ready for me when I got home from a busy day!


This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:
  • 2 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 lb sweet potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 6oz can tomato paste
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 3 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup dry quinoa
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients except quinoa in a crockpot.
  2. Cook over high for 4 hours.
  3. Add quinoa.  Turn temperature to low and cook for an additional hour or until quinoa absorbs all the liquid.
  4. Adjust seasonings to desired taste.

The original recipe actually calls for cumin, and not the cinnamon.  But I love cinnamon and think sweet potato and cinnamon go really well together.  It definitely did in this chili!  Try out my recipe, the original recipe, or play around with your own spices to get the flavors that taste best to you!




I am roughly estimating that this recipe makes 8 servings.  Based on one serving, this recipe yields approximately 262 calories and 11g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment