Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Chocolate Almond Butter Banana Shake

Lately when I have been making smoothies, I have been making them so thick that they can be eaten out of a bowl with a spoon with some granola, nuts, or chopped fruit on top to add some crunch.  However, tonight I was craving a smoothie that could be sipped out of a glass with a straw.  I still wanted a thick smoothie because sometimes smoothies that are too thin can go down way too fast and I really wanted something that would last and have some staying power.

I knew if I used a frozen banana I would have a great base for a creamy, thick shake.  I also decided to use some almond yogurt in place of almond milk since yogurt has a creamier, thicker consistency than almond milk.  Cocoa powder and almond butter added to this shake by giving it flavor, protein, and some staying power.

Not only are these ingredients all packed with nutrition, but when combined they make for a very tasty treat! This smoothie can be enjoyed pre or post workout, as a regular snack, as a dessert, or doubled and maybe blended with some oats to be more filling for a meal replacement smoothie.

Ingredients:

  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1/4 cup non-dairy yogurt (I used plain Amande)
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp almond butter (I used Maranatha)
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder (I used dark cocoa)

Directions:

  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender.
  2. Process until smooth and creamy, without overblending.
  3. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

I know there are tons of recipes for chocolate peanut butter and banana smoothies, but this one was exactly what I was craving and I want to remember the recipe for the future. (I know I'll be making this again!)  I got the thick, creamy smoothie with the perfect amount of sweetness from the banana without any added sugar in any form, not even from extracts or stevia.


This recipe can also be easily adapted to suit your cravings.

  • For a thinner shake, add more almond milk.  
  • For a thicker shake, add more yogurt or banana.  
  • If you like added sweetness, add almond extract (or another kind), stevia, agave, or another sweetener.
  • For more flavor, add extra cocoa powder or almond butter.  
  • Try a different kind of nut butter.
  • Turn this smoothie into a Chocolate Banana Smoothie by omitting the nut butter.
  • Turn this smoothie into an Almond Butter Banana Smoothie by omitting the cocoa powder.
  • Double the recipe and maybe add some oats for a meal replacement.
  • Add spinach to sneak in some extra veggies (you won't even taste the spinach).
  • Omit the almond milk, blend all other ingredients together, and turn this smoothie into frozen yogurt to be eaten out of a bowl.
  • Omit the almond milk and yogurt, blend all other ingredients, and it will resemble soft serve to be eaten out of a bowl.

Sorry there is no picture.  I didn't realize I would love this smoothie exactly how I made it and would want to post the recipe. But don't worry I'll be making it again soon and will definitely get a picture then.  But for now just imagine thick, creamy dark chocolate milk!



Based on using original Silk PureAlmond milk, plain Amande Cultured Almondmilk, and Maranatha Natural Almond Butter, this recipe yields approximately 288 calories and 7g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment