Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Pancakes

It is Monday, which normally means I include a recipe for the letter of the week for Meatless Mondays from A to Z.  This week was M for Miso and I was having a hard time finding that ingredient.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area of the grocery store?  So this Monday I am skipping out on a recipe with miso, but maybe I will try something sometime in the future.  However, I will post a new recipe today.

The last two days I have made these pancakes that I have been absolutely loving.  The pancakes are filled with protein and topped with a peanut butter banana creme.  Peanut butter and banana are one of my favorite combinations, so of course topping protein packed pancakes for a Sunday morning breakfast sounded perfect!


This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed
  • 1.5 tbsp water
  • 1/2 cup gf rolled oats
  • 1 scoop protein powder (I used Sunwarrior Blend Raw Vanilla)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 banana
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp almond milk
Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, mix together the ground flaxseed and water.  Let sit for 5 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small food processor, pulse rolled oats a few times to break them down so they take on the consistency of instant oats.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine oats, protein powder, almond milk, and vanilla.  Stir until combined.
  4. Stir in flaxseed mixture and stir until incorporated.
  5. Spoon pancake patter by 1/4 cup onto a hot, greased griddle over medium high heat.  Cook until golden brown on each side.
  6. After the pancakes are cooked, it is time to make the peanut butter banana creme topping.  With a fork, mash the banana in a small bowl. Stir in peanut butter and almond milk until mixture is smooth.
  7. Spread a layer of the creme in between each pancake.  If desired, you can top with slices of the other half of your banana.
With this recipe, I was able to make 5 medium sized pancakes.  I doubled the peanut butter banana creme from the original recipe since I love those two flavors so much and really wanted to taste them with my protein pancakes!


What I like about this pancake recipe is if you don't like peanut butter or banana, you can just omit the creme, make the pancakes, and top with maple syrup and/or various fruits.  The pancake recipe alone is a great base recipe; then you can just change up toppings each week for a variety of pancake flavors!  This recipe was very simple and I will definitely be making them again!



Based on using original Silk PureAlmond Milk, Sunwarrior Raw Vanilla Blend protein powder, Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats, and PB&Co. Mighty Maple Peanut Butter, this entire recipe yields:
Approximately 577 calories and 31g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment