Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

I had a zucchini that needed to be used and wanted to use it in a creative way.  I decided why not add it to my oatmeal in the morning.  I had seen this done several times before and have always wanted to give this a try, especially because I love adding veggies to my breakfast in subtle ways.  Lately, I have also really been into blended oats.  Basically, before adding the zucchini and toppings I blend the oats and milk for a creamier oatmeal.  I love the texture of the oatmeal this way.  Then, I add in the toppings to give the oatmeal a little crunch.


I based this recipe off a few different recipes I found online.  Here's how I made my Zucchini Bread Oatmeal:

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup gf rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • sea salt, to taste
  • 1/2 cup grated zucchini
  • 1 tbsp raisins (optional for topping)
  • 1 tbsp walnuts (optional for topping)
  • 1/2 tbsp almond butter (optional for topping)
Directions:
  1. Combine oats, almond milk, chia seeds (if using), vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt and stir together.  (This can be done the night before and refrigerated overnight to make the oats softer.)  
  2. Heat for about 2-3 minutes.  If desired, blend all ingredients together with a hand blender.
  3. Stir in zucchini and any additional toppings. Enjoy! 
If you prepare this the night before, breakfast is ready so quickly in the morning!  I love the pop of green color the zucchini gives to the oatmeal and it tastes more sweet than savory thanks to the sweet seasonings.  



Based on using original Silk PureAlmond milk, Bob's Red Mill GF Rolled Oats, and all optional ingredients and toppings this recipe yields:
Approximately 334 calories and 10g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment