Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Quinoa Sage Stuffing

Yesterday I posted about the main dish of my Thanksgiving dinner, my Homemade Tofurkey.  I mentioned how you could fill it with any stuffing and I decided to stuff mine with Quinoa Sage Stuffing.  The ingredients in this stuffing sounded perfect for the flavors of the holiday!


This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dry quinoa
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 heaping cup celery, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • About 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • sea salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Directions:
  1. In a medium sized pot, bring vegetable broth to a boil.
  2. Stir in the quinoa and bay leaf.  Set to low heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.  
  3. After 10 minutes, turn off the heat and allow the quinoa to steam, covered, for another 10 minutes.
  4. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium low heat.  Add in the celery and onion and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
  5. Turn the heat to medium and add in the sage, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  Adjust seasonings to taste and simmer for a few minutes.
  6. Stir in the dried cranberries.
  7. Allow to cool before stuffing tofurkey.  (You probably won't need it all, I used just more than half the quinoa mixture to stuff the tofurkey.)
You can also eat this just as a stuffing side dish.  Just pour the quinoa stuffing into a casserole dish and bake at 375F for 10 minutes.  Then, broil until the top becomes golden brown.  You can do this just before serving!

I loved that most of the stuffing went into the tofurkey, but I had extra to enjoy as a side dish!




I'm roughly estimating that this recipe makes about 6 cups of stuffing.
Based on about 1 cup, this recipe yields approximately 175 calories and 4g protein.


My other Thanksgiving 2012 Dishes:
Homemade Tofurkey
Quinoa Sage Stuffing

No comments:

Post a Comment