Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Quinoa Sushi

I have never liked seafood.  I know some people are not huge seafood lover fans but love sushi,  and in the past I had tried it so many times and never found it appetizing.  Well that changed as soon as I discovered Quinoa Sushi.  Sushi that is filled with protein, fresh veggies, and free of any animal cruelty.  I also love that the Nori wraps are filled with protein, fiber, iodine, carotene, calcium, iron, and Vitamins A, B, and C.  What a healthy appetizer, snack, or side!


This recipe was adapted from Fragrant Vanilla Cake.  I used a few different veggies than the original recipe for my Quinoa Sushi.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp agave
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
  • 1 medium zucchini, cut into thin strips
  • 1 medium yellow squash, cut into thin strips
  • 2 large carrots, cut into thin strips
  • 1 avocado, thinly sliced
  • 4 nori sheets (or more depending how much quinoa you used in each sheet and your veggies)
Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, mix together the cooked quinoa, rice vinegar, agave, and sea salt.
  2. Lay a nori sheet on a clean surface.  About 1 inch from the top of the nori sheet, lay about a 2 inch strip of quinoa that spreads from the left to the right of the nori sheet.
  3. Add a few strips of each of the veggies and avocado below the strip of quinoa.  Be careful not to put too much on the nori sheet or it will be difficult to roll.
  4. Roll up the nori sheet tightly from the top down.  You may need to moisten the edge at the bottom to get it to hold together.
  5. Repeat with the other 3 nori sheets.
  6. Slice each roll into about 6 rounds and enjoy with soy sauce or another favorite dipping sauce.


This recipe can be changed to include any of your favorite veggies.  You can also get creative with tasty dipping sauces!  You can also add hot sauce if you like things spicy, either in the roll, in the dipping sauce, or both!


This is my second time making Quinoa Sushi.  The first time I also added cucumber and that was a great veggie to include too!


 I have to make this more often though, because my quinoa wrapping and cutting skills are quite terrible.  I'll have to keep practicing.  Maybe one day I'll actually create perfectly wrapped and cut sushi!


2 comments:

  1. Your recipes look amazing! i can't wait to try some quinoa sushi of my own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you enjoy it, they taste great!

      Delete