Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash

I cannot believe I have never had an acorn squash before!  I have had butternut squash, spaghetti squash, and of course pumpkin!  Just like the other squashes I have tried before, I absolutely love acorn squash.  In fact, since making this meal I have returned to the grocery store to buy another acorn squash!


Unfortunately, I had to cook my acorn squash in the microwave (still have an unfinished kitchen being remodeled) but it was still very tasty.  I'm hoping next week I get a chance to roast the acorn squash I just bought in the oven.  If it tasted great in the microwave I can just imagine how it will taste roasted in the oven!


Since this was my first time making acorn squash, I wasn't quite sure if I just wanted to dice it up and add it to a rice/quinoa bowl, but I came across some ideas on the internet about filling the acorn squash and using it as a bowl.  What a great idea!

Here is the recipe I used to stuff my acorn squash:

Ingredients:
  • 1 small acorn squash
  • 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup black beans
  • 2 tablespoons mango peach salsa
Directions:
  1. Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
  2. Either, place the acorn squash halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 400F for about 30 minutes or cook in the microwave cut side down with a little water for about 12-15 minutes.
  3. While that is cooking, mix together quinoa, black beans, and salsa.  Stir in any other seasonings you may like. (I added garlic powder and Sriracha.)
  4. When the acorn squash is cooked, fill it with the quinoa mixture.

This is only one way to eat acorn squash.  You can stuff it with a variety of other foods.  You can also eat it plain or dice it and add it to a bowl of rice and veggies.  Or you could even eat it as more of a treat by sprinkling it with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.



Oh, and the skin is edible!  However, it probably tastes best roasted in the oven, but it tasted fine from being cooked in the microwave.  Remember, a lot of important minerals and fiber are stored in the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment