Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Blueberry Syrup

I usually prefer to make my own pancakes, especially with all the different add-ins you can include to make traditional pancakes in a variety of ways with so much flavor.  But I had one store bought blueberry waffle left that I thought would make a good breakfast one morning, plus I had some fresh blueberries from the Farmer's Market that needed to be used.  Instead of just adding some fresh blueberries to a blueberry waffle (the store bought kind does not have near enough blueberries for me) I had a great idea to make some blueberry syrup!


I adapted this recipe from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen which had a great and easy recipe with no unnecessary added sugar.  I cut this recipe in half since I was only making the syrup for one waffle and I still have extra stored in the fridge.  Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
  2. Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until bubbles begin to form.
  3. Slightly reduce the heat and continue to cook while whisking the entire time until the syrup becomes thick, about 3-5 minutes.

This syrup tastes so fresh and would be great over waffles or pancakes, or even maybe a great topping for a muffin, cupcake, or ice cream!


No comments:

Post a Comment