Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Quinoa Crust Pizza

I enjoy making various types of pizza crusts, rather than just buying premade ones.  It's hard to find gluten free ones that are also vegan anyways.  The other day I came across this one that was made out of quinoa.  Since I love quinoa, I thought this crust would be a great alternative to the regular pizza crust.  I cannot remember where I saw the original recipe, but as soon as I do I'll link it on here. 

Here is how I made my crust:

Ingredients:
  •  3/4 cup quinoa
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 flax egg
Directions:
  1. Cook the quinoa in the vegetable broth until it absorbs the liquid (about 15minutes).  Allow to cool slightly.
  2. Combine the cooked quinoa with garlic and salt in a food processor.  Blend until it starts to stick together.  Transfer to a bowl and stir in the flax egg.
  3. Pour the mixture into a greased pan.  Squish the dough down so it is thin and sticks together.
  4. Preheat oven to 400F.  Cook for 10 minutes.
  5. Turn the oven down to 350F and continue to cook 15-20 more minutes.
  6. Take out the crust, put on sauce, cheese, and any additional toppings.  Cook for another 5-8 minutes.
  7. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.

This crust was tasty, but it didn't hold together that well for pizza.  I had to eat this with a fork since it was so soft, and not crispy at all (except the crust).  Even though this was a "pizza", I felt like I was eating my typical meal of mixing veggies with some quinoa and pasta sauce only without adding beans but adding cheese and baking it.  So even though this was good, it was more of like a baked quinoa dish.

I added spinach leaves and artichoke hearts to my pizza!


No comments:

Post a Comment