Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Mediterranean Pasta

I haven't had pasta in a while and decided to have some for dinner tonight, but I wanted to try something different than just regular spaghetti.  Well I was craving artichoke hearts and just picked up a can at the grocery store today and thought it would be perfect in pasta.  I googled some pasta dish ideas with artichoke hearts and found one that I modified for the ingredients I had on hand.

This recipe was inspired from Whole Living:

Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces brown rice spaghetti
  • 1 can artichoke hearts - drained, rinsed, and quartered
  • 1/3 cup black pitted olives, quartered
  • 3 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup white cooking wine
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • pasta sauce, if desired
  • nutritional yeast (optional)
Directions:
  1. Cook spaghetti according to directions on package.
  2. Meanwhile, saute the artichoke hearts and black olives in the white cooking wine.
  3. Add the minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
  4. Continue to heat until the white cooking wine evaporates.
  5. Once the spaghetti is cooked and drained, mix the artichokes and olives into the spaghetti.
  6. Serve immediately, or add pasta sauce first.  If you want, you can also sprinkle on some nutritional yeast.

Notes:
  • I used less spaghetti than the original recipe but still added the whole can of artichoke hearts and even added extra black olives. (I like lots of add-ins mixed into my spaghetti.)
  • I also added a little pasta sauce to mine (probably about 1/2 a jar) because the sauce I had in the cabinet was tomato and basil and those were 2 ingredients I did not add to my recipe that was called for in the original recipe.
  • I then topped my pasta off with some nutritional yeast which gave this meal a great extra flavor.

I really enjoyed this meal and am so glad I have leftovers for lunch or dinner tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment