Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

"Crab" Cakes

Great Sage is my favorite restaurant and one of their current seasonal dinner meals right now is this Hearts of Palm "Crab Cake".  Even before I was vegan I never liked crab.  But since this one wasn't even really crab (and being from Maryland) I was definitely tempted to try this "crab" cake.  Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try this meal yet. (The last time I went the Indian Red Lentil Curry sounded really good so I went with that choice.)

Well, shortly after I was at Great Sage, a blogger I follow reviewed this particular meal when she had it at Great Sage.  She then recreated the meal at home!  They have the same ingredients as the "crab" cakes from Great Sage.  I immediately knew I'd be making these "Crab" Cakes for myself!


This recipe is adapted from here:

Ingredients:
  • 1 15 oz can Hearts of Palm, drained
  • 1 flax egg
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs*
  • 1 T old bay
  • 1 T veganaise
  • 1 tsp dill
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F and coat a glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
  2. Mash the hearts of palm in a bowl (or gently pulse in a food processor.)
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together.
  4. Divid the mixture into 4 equal parts and shape them into balls, then gently flatten them.
  5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip them halfway through baking time.

* Note: I had the hardest time finding breadcrumbs.  All the gluten free brands had egg whites or milk listed in the ingredients so I decided to make my own breadcrumbs out of crackers by putting them in a gallon-sized ziploc bag and using a roll pin to crush them.  I used Multi-Seed Gluten Free Rice Thin Crackers by back to Nature.  These were gluten free AND vegan!


I also made the remoulade mentioned on the blog to top as a sauce for these "crab" cakes:

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
  • 1/4 cup roasted red onion
  • 2 T yogurt (I used Silk)
  • 1 T veganaise
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp dill
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a food processor and mix until smooth.



This meal was very simple to make and to clean up afterwards.  It was also very tasty.  I will definitely be making this again.  I might even double the recipe next time!








No comments:

Post a Comment