Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Baked Beans

I love baked beans! I buy them canned from the grocery store all the time.  When I found out I could make my own...OMG! I will probably never buy store bought baked beans again! These were super easy and much tastier than the canned version.

This recipe was adapted from Happy Herbivore.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 onion, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 15 oz can navy beans, drained and not rinsed
  • 2 tbsp ketchup
  • 2 tbsp molasses
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp tamari
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300F. 
  2. Cook onion and garlic in 1/4 cup water over high heat until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
  4. Once boiling, transfer to a casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  5. Remove from oven and let beans rest for at least 15 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.  Stir beans just before serving.

These can be eaten alone as a side, or enjoy them over brown rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment