Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Vanilla Avocado Ice Cream

Last week was super hot, I had an avocado that needed to be used and some frozen bananas in the freezer.  Avocados and bananas can make anything creamy and frozen bananas can make ice cream.  Searching the internet I found a recipe for ice cream that I knew I had to try on those hot summer days!


This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 medium frozen banana
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 tsp guar gum (optional)
  • 1/8 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
Directions:  Blend everything together in a blender until smooth.  Eat immediately (more of a smoothie or soft serve) or pour the mixture into a container and put it in the freezer.  When you're ready to eat or after at least an hour, let it thaw for about 5 minutes then reblend to form ice cream.

Notes:
  • Your bananas don't have to be frozen, but if they aren't add ice cubes.
  • The gums are optional but the guar gum adds creaminess and the xanthan gum adds thickness.
I ate this two ways.  The first I actually ate right away, more as a smoothie.  I think I preferred this way.  It was still cold but actually more like soft serve (after freezing it, it had some ice crystals.)  And since I added the gums it was really creamy and thick.

Not the best picture since I used a teal colored bowl and was not planning on sharing this picture, but since I enjoyed the "soft serve" ice cream better I had to show what it looked like.

Another not great picture, but look how thick it is - not even falling off the spoon!

A few days later, I ate it like ice cream.  I guess I was impatient and should have waited for it to thaw more, maybe then I would have liked it better.  Next time I think I'll just store it in the fridge and eat it as a smoothie or soft serve.









No comments:

Post a Comment