Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Broccoli Cashew Quinoa Salad

Simple. Quick. Easy clean-up. Light. Healthy. Delicious.  Those 6 things are inspiration enough to make this recipe!  This meal is full of protein, fiber, veggies, and flavor.  I made some this past weekend; it didn't last long and I wish I had more.  Since I already have all the ingredients and it was just that good, I'm making it again for dinner tomorrow night!


This recipe was adapted from Whole Foods:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
  • 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups small broccoli florets
  • 1/2 cup roasted cashew pieces (I recommend crushing gently with the side of a knife)
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Directions:
  1. Soak sundried tomatoes in hot water for 15 minutes to soften them.  Then drain and chop.
  2. Bring 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
  3. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
  4. Add chopped sundried tomatoes, broth, wine, and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
  5. Stir in quinoa. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
  6. Stir in broccoli and simmer until all liquid is absorbed.
  7. Serve garnished with cashews and green onions. 
Notes: After the first 20 minutes of simmering, all my liquid was absorbed so I just cooked my broccoli seperately then stirred it into the quinoa.  I also was preparing this meal for later in the week so instead of garnishing, I just stirred in the cashews and green onions at the end after cooking and before storing and it still turned out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment