Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Chickenless Nuggets

I was in the mood for some nuggets the other day for dinner.  At first, I thought I would just turn a recipe for bean patties into smaller bite-sized nuggets.  But then I remembered that someone had given me some Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) that needed to be used so I googled recipes for nuggets using TVP.  This recipe was perfect because I do not like breading nuggets since it is so hard to find bread crumbs (or crackers to turn into crumbs) that are gluten free and vegan.  Plus it was a very simple recipe!


This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 vegetable bouillon cube
  • 1 cup TVP
  • 2 tbsp chickpea flour
  • 1 flax egg
  • spices, to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450F.
  2. Combine boiling water with a vegetable bouillon cube in a medium bowl and stir until dissolved.
  3. Add TVP, stir, and set aside for 5 minutes.
  4. In a food processor, pulse the soaked TVP until it is broken down into smaller pieces (but not too small).
  5. Add flax egg and flour and mix until well combined.
  6. Season with any spices you would like and mix to combine.
  7. Form nuggets with your hands and place on a prepared baking sheet.
  8. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, flip, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until golden.
I was able to make about 15 nuggets with this recipe, but the amount will depend on the size nuggets you form.


The TVP definitely added that chicken like texture and the seasonings gave these nuggets a great taste.  This recipe was so easy to make and required very little clean up. 

The inside of these chickenless nuggets!
 

I will definitiely be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment