Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pumpkin Protein Muffin

I have been seeing a lot of microwaveable protein muffin recipes floating around.  They look so good as a way to start the morning since they are packed with protein and can be made so quickly.  Unfortunately, most of the protein muffin recipes I have seen include an egg.  I have tried so many times to replace the egg with a flax egg but I guess my wet to dry ingredient proportion was off because my protein muffins were not working out - they were too soupy.


I finally came across this one that didn't require an egg, but already included a flax egg in the directions, so I thought I would give it a try and I'm glad I did!  It was so easy, came out perfectly, it was filling, and delicious.  What a great healthy, breakfast!


This recipe was adapted from here:

Ingredients:
  • 1 scoop protein powder (21 g) (I used brown rice protein powder)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 flax egg
Directions:
  1. In a microwave-safe bowl, ramekin, or mug combine protein powder, cinnamon, and baking soda and mix together.
  2. Add in vanilla, pumpkin, and flax egg and mix until well incorporated.
  3. Microwave for 3 minutes, watching carefully that it does not spill over. 
  4. Let it cool for 1 minute.  Then, take a knife and loosen the muffin from the side of the bowl.  Flip it over onto a plate.  Top with maple syrup, nut butter, jam, yogurt, etc.

While your already measuring out the ingredients for one, you might as well make a few extra.  (That pumpkin will need to be used anyway :-p ) Plus, then you will have some ready to go breakfasts for days when you need to grab something quick.


These muffins can also make a great snack or dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment