Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

I love the combination of peanut butter and bananas so of course when I had 2 black bananas the first thing I thought of making was something that included peanut butter as well.  I love muffins because unlike bread they are already premade into servings.  This makes them a quick easy breakfast or snack to grab and go.

I made quite a few changes to the original recipe since I had 2 bananas that needed to be used so I tried to change some of the ingredients to incorporate that extra moisture.  I also had to decide on a good proportion of gluten free flours instead of the whole wheat flour called for in the original recipe.

This recipe was adapted from VegWeb:

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 bananas, mashed
  • 1/4 cup raw sugar
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon paking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
  • 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour, divided
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a muffin pan.
  2. Mix together peanut butter, vanilla, bananas, sugar, and milk.
  3. Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and mix together.
  4. Add flaxseeds and mix together.
  5. Add all purpose flour and mix.
  6. Add 1/4 cup brown rice flour and mix.
  7. Add remaining 1/4 cup brown rice flour and mix until everything is well incorporated.
  8. Pour batter into muffin liners and bake for about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.
There are quite a bit of ingredients, but it's all just measuring and mixing, which keeps the recipe very simple.  Plus, you only use one bowl so there is minimal clean-up!

I cannot wait until I have some more black bananas so I can make these muffins again! They were really tasty!  Plus they can be eaten in several different ways:
Topped with peanut butter!

 
In a yogurt bowl for breakfast!
This was made with Silk vanilla soy yogurt, half a sliced banana, half a crumbled peanut butter banana muffin, and topped with a spoonful of almond butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment