Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Banana Date Protein Bars

It is the 4th week in Meatless Mondays from A to Z so today's recipe was inspired by Dates.  Oh, and it is also Banana Lover's Day!  When I came across this recipe that included dates and bananas, I knew it would be perfect for today!

Better With Veggies

The original recipe calls for 2 small bananas and 2/3 cup almond milk.  My bananas were big so I used 1 full banana and 1/2 of another.  I also reduced the almond milk to 1/3 because the batter was already very liquidy.


This recipe was adapated from Healthy Helpings.  Here's how I made my protein bars:

Ingredients:
  • 12 dates
  • 1/4 cup boiling water
  • 1 1/2 small ripe banana
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 2 tbsp dried fruit (I used a dried fruit mix)
  • 3 scoops of protein powder (about 60 grams)
  • 1 tsp baking soda (omit if making raw bars)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Place the dates in a small bowl and cover with the boiling water.  Set aside to soak until they are soft.
  2. Preheat the oven to 300F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Set aside.
  3. Place the bananas, dates, and date soaking water in a food processor or blender.  Blend until a paste forms.
  4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the almond milk.  Stir until combined.
  5. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until evenly combined being careful not to overmix the batter.
  6. Spread the mixture along the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes.
  7. Remove from the oven, let the bars cool, and cut into individual servings.  (I cut mine into 9 squares).  Wrap each bar with suran wrap and store in the fridge.
I actually baked my bars for 45 minutes and the bars were still pretty soft.  After cooling the pan, I actually put the mixture in the freezer to freeze before cutting because they were so soft.  I think next time I make these I will omit the baking soda and just put them in the freezer until they harden before cutting and wrapping each bar.  I'm also storing these in the freezer so they will continue to hold together well and last longer.  When I want one I just take it out for about 5 minutes before eating!  I'm sure these also taste great warm.  If you store them in the fridge, you only have to heat them up for about 10 seconds before enjoying!

Side view!


Even though these bars didn't come out as expected, I really enjoyed them.  The flavors of the banana, dates, and cinnamon really stood out.  I love how these bars are packed with protein and naturally sweetened for a sweet and healthy treat!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment