Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

TVP Sloppy Joes

About a week ago I made these Chickenless Nuggets with Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) that someone gave me.  I noticed the sell by date was getting close so I googled some ideas on what I could do with the rest of the TVP and came across this recipe for sloppy joes.  OMG!  I have not had a sloppy joe in years, but this stuff tasted just like Manwich, only it was better because there is no meat.

This recipe was adapted from here.  I made a few changes based on the reviews of the recipe online.  Here is how I made my TVP Sloppy Joes:

Ingredients:
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 large green pepper, diced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 2 cups tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 tbsp chili powder (add more for a spicier kick)
  • a pinch of pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp tamari
  • 1 tbsp mustard
  • 1 tbsp raw sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups dry TVP
Directions:
  1. Saute the chopped onion and green pepper in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
  2. Add all other ingredients and simmer together over medium low heat for 20 minutes.

Do not be overwhelmed by the ingredients.  It took me maybe 3 minutes to chop the onion and green pepper (I used a food processor) and another 5 minutes to saute them.  Then while that was sauteeing I measured everything else out.  Finally, I added everything in the pot and did some other things for 20 minutes. 

  Simmering in the pot!
This meal is very minimal prep work, very simple directions, very easy clean up, very tasty! It practically cooks itself!  Next time I make this, I'm doubling the recipe so there will be more leftovers!



I am roughly estimating that this makes about 8 servings.  One serving (without bread) is approximately 138 calories and 9.5g protein.


No comments:

Post a Comment